Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stay the Path


Today Spencer received his blue belt in ninjutsu and I am proud of him and of the hard work he's put in these last couple of years. I am also glad that he has his driver's license and can drive himself to and from classes- sometimes four or five a week. A black belt with his name on it is hanging on the wall of the dojo, and he hopes one day to be able to take it off the wall.

Speaking of walls, on the bathroom wall (I am of an age now that I get to explore the bathrooms just about everywhere I go...and this was a beautiful one, all bamboo leaves stenciled over a peaceful sage wall) was a framed quote that I was impressed by:

The path of the Warrior is lifelong, and mastery is often simply staying on the path.

- Richard Strozzi Heckler

I needed to see that quote today. (I also needed to use the bathroom.) Sometimes all we need to do is to stay on the path... and be proud of doing so.



I'm adding an action shot - a very bad one. I haven't gotten to the indoor/flash/moving rapidly subjects part of my photography hobby. What I find funny about this picture is that after YEARS of telling my boys not to hit girls, it's never ok to hit girls (deleted comment about pop musicians) my son has a girl today as his sparring partner. And I was shouting...take her down!!! (or something classy like that).


1 comment:

dontnoy said...

This made my day! I think I can stay on the path, when I ride my bike there is sometimes a very big and long hill and at those moments I just keep my head down and keep my eye on the road directly in front of me and then that top desination doesn't seem so overwhelming and i always get there.