Sunday, February 8, 2009

Two Sentence Book Reviews

Why two sentences?
Because if I write much more, I am very likely to spoil something in the plot for you and ruin your reading experience. I am always perplexed by the introductions to classic literature where a very learned individual proceeds to explain the book to the reader, and spoils the whole story under the guise of academia. I have a confession, I don't read those introductions. Neither before nor after the book. By the time I'm done reading classic literature, I feel sufficiently self-righteous with my accomplishment and am concerned that reading the spoiling introduction will prove to me that I didn't really get the book. at all.

On to the reviews!
The ex-debutante by Linda Lee

This book was a quick easy read, full of fluffy southern details and a clever quippy style of writing. The downside of this novel is that the plot is fairly transparent and the ending is obvious long before the middle of the book.











The Last Cato by Matilde Asensi

Another adventure Indiana Jones/DaVinci code type novel by this author involving a nun, a professor, and a Vatican- employed Swiss Guard in an effort to save Christianity through performing tests based on Dante's Divine Comedy. Great read, although the story occasionally gets bogged down in so many details that this reader's eyes glazed over.







The Wasted Vigil by Nadeem Aslam

Beautiful, but fairly dark story detailing the interaction between several characters of several nationalities in post 9/11 Afghanistan. I enjoyed reading this book but felt as if I wasn't deep enough to understand the nuanced plot changes and seemingly unrelated flash-way-backs to colonial america.

1 comment:

dontnoy said...

I don't like to have much revealed to me before reading a book, so nicely done. I will have to check them out.