Thursday, December 25, 2008

Waiting for "the call"

It has been a merry and joyful Christmas at our home. We had a great Christmas Eve with the Christmas Story from Luke, our traditional"Polar Express" read by William Hurt (not with us in person, but delighting us via cassette tape) and a Mormon Tabernacle Christmas on PBS. We also waited excitedly for the 1 minute phone call telling us when "the call" would occur today.

The phone rang at 11:15 pm. It was our missionary!!! I mentioned to him that it was almost midnight (he's on pacific coast time) and he said that he had hoped to catch santa in the act.

Morning came, my parents are in town which is always wonderful, the kids were excited and even a bit surprised (hard to do when you only have teenagers!) at their gifts. A good nap, and a turkey dinner in the oven have completed the day.

Except for "the call"

Which should happen in an hour or so.....

We haven't talked to our missionary since Mother's Day. 7-1/2 months. We get e-mails every week, but just the sound of the voice...EXCITING!!! I could hardly sleep after last night's 1 minute call. So I am excited and anxious and nervous for our icing on this Christmas Day. After Mother's Day I hung up feeling like I forgot to say so many things, and that I said so many things I didn't mean too.... (right, Mr. Yes?) I also hung up feeling so blessed to have him as a son, and missing him more than ever....

Now, 11-1/2 months into his mission will I feel the same?
Probably....
but for now, I wait for "the call"

No comments: