Sunday, December 28, 2008

update to "the call"

"The Call"

had it's moments of surprise- when at the end of the call our side of the phone was accidentally hung up without saying good-byes all around. We waited for our missionary to call us back. He didn't. We had his cell phone number (we probably weren't supposed to actually NOTICE that on the caller id) and whereas dad was fine with calling it a night, I wasn't. Must say good-bye before Mother's Day! We called the number... it rang an awfully long time while I'm sure our missionary was pondering whether it would be obeying or disobeying mission rules to answer.... finally, a hesitant hello? Good-byes were said and all was well with the mother (me!)

It had moments of tragedy (well, a bit hyperbole there) when we learned he had been hit by a car in June and hadn't told us... apparently we (me) reacted to strongly to the march bike accident and missionary was concerned that this would have me on a plane at his side. A texting teenager driving an SUV ran into him, propelling (another hyperbole, but it makes it sound so exciting- especially since I know he's fine) him onto the hood and then back to the ground. Said driver then got their phone number (on a pass-along card) and hightailed it out of Duarte. Of course she never called. The bike was the most hurt, with the missionary injuring a shoulder slightly, and suffering from shock- but otherwise fine. The missionary was disappointed she never called back- both from the standpoint of civic duty and the opportunity to ask her about the Gospel.

And of course, there were several moments of confusion. I forgot most of my questions and concerns, added some new ones that I had never had (like, how many other things have happened that we as parents should know but don't) and delighted in the joy he is finding serving his Heavenly Father and Savior. He sounded grown up and independent, which is what I hoped to hear after all this time...on the other hand, the mothery part of me was a bit chagrined.

It was all good.

1 comment:

Hokie said...

Maybe I shouldn’t post this comment for another year when Brad returns, but there are definitely stories I saved to tell my mother until after I returned. Not to worry you, but if the Lord’s hand weren’t there less missionaries would make it home to tell the stories. But it is, so you have nothing to worry about.