Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chronicles of the Cell Phone

Turning the cell phone off for the night is one of the best moments of my day.

The cell phone is only turned off when the teens are safely home from the social, education, church or work activities that take them away so often. It's a similar, but even sweeter feeling than what I used to feel when all of my little children were fed, bathed and in bed after after a long day.

Of course, my oldest son serving as a missionary isn't here when I turn the phone off, but I am confident in the fact that our Heavenly Father never turns his cell phone off (I do have a land line just in case.)

For today, however, since it's only noon, the cell phone remains on and buzzing with texts (done sneakily while at their lockers) about forgotten music books, after school plans, a bad (or good grade on a test- I think they text the bad more often so as to prepare the way for the inevitable after school discussion.) clever!

Soon will be calls of forgotten items, and evening plans. While there are definitely downsides to the texting/photographing/calling cell phones of today, I am grateful to be able to communicate with my children when they need me.

As grateful as I am for that communication-
I love to turn it off!

1 comment:

Hokie said...

As a teacher I get so frustrated at the cell phone use in school. Your point of view as a parent helps me to get it a little better.