Sunday, May 31, 2009

Creating!!


I have had so much fun these last couple of weeks creating a guest book for my niece Kiley's wedding next month. I haven't taken time to just "make things" in so long, and I forgot how much joy it brings me!

I am new to book-binding of any kind, and the original plan I had for the guest book involved some skewers (like shish-ka-bobs) and a weaving in and out of the paper to hold it all together. A very cool technique (which I've never done) but not very sturdy for a book that will get major usage for a few hours during the reception! I have the skewers on hand for another day though...or if my kids get naughty enough.

Etsy is a neat site (etsy.com) where handmade items are sold. I saw some great looking coptic bound journals there, and knew that was the look I wanted. I then watched several online videos (google coptic bookbinding and then go to the alteredbooks site for the best videos), practiced on cheap paper, and threw myself into the project. Kind of like trying a recipe for the first time when you have company coming! I used the covers of an old hardback book that our library was sending to the dump, and covered them with the handmade paper.

Kiley's colors are a beautiful combination of purple, coral, and soft yellow. Although the crystal heart looks blue in the picture, I can assure you it's purple. I promise!

I wish I could be there for the wedding, but I'll be traipsing about somewhere in the middle of New Mexico where I doubt I'll get cell phone coverage. I find that painful. Almost as painful as missing the wedding.

1 comment:

dontnoy said...

So cute! We need to do crafting together...I know there is so much you can teach me.