Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The First Act of Simplification

image by jag@lwh via flickr

As soon as I published the last post I went online shopping to order 2010's word necklace.
I picked one out, customized it to say simplify, and was on the verge of entering my credit card information and pushing "send order".
The word simplify seemed to glow at me on the screen.
Well, it didn't actually seem to glow, but wouldn't that have been cool?
Actually, the phone rang. I have learned my lesson about pushing the final "buy" button in a hurry when I received two cameras for Christmas.
That short break gave me a moment to think about my new word. Simplify. I have enough necklaces to accessorize a small nation. Do I really need another? Is that really simplifying?
Simplify means to "make simple or easier"
Simple means "having few parts, not complex or complicated or involved"

It is painful, because I really like word necklaces.
I really like jewelery in general.
I really like ALOT of things.
But I don't really use ALOT of the things I already have. Like that second camera.
(just joking, I returned it about 10 minutes it arrived!)


4 comments:

dontnoy said...

That is so hard I would so want the necklace. That is half the fun of it. But you made the right the choice...maybe next month.

Hokie said...

I remember last year when you gave your word I decided it was a good concept and came up with my own. This year when I read your new one I remembered that I had chosen one last year then forgotten about it. I say that if you need the necklace to remind you then it is ok. ;) But only if you NEED it to remind you. Hmm, where can I get one of these necklaces?

colette said...

Well, since you asked...the necklaces can be found several places, I like Lisaleonarddesigns.com best, but she was one of the first out with the word necklaces and she has gotten a bit well-known and her prices have risen accordingly....also, if you go to etsy.com, and put in word jewelery or necklace, there are a few people that do it too....and YOU're right!!!! If I NEED the necklace to remind me, it is all part of the plan, right?
love your thinking L.

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing this idea1 I'm trying hard to understand, and simplify.