Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blogging Thoughts


As of December 2007 there were over 112 million blogs worldwide. As of December 2008, there were at least 112,000,001 because that's when I jumped into the blogging world.

I've been thinking alot about blogs lately.... specifically my own blog.
What do I want to accomplish with my blog? Or is it a just for fun, no need to accomplish anything kind of activity?

I thought about the blogs I enjoy reading. And I do enjoy reading blogs. I may even be a closet blog-reader addict. I enjoy reading blogs about other places in the world, about families, about the financial condition of our economy and our personal lives...

I read quilt blogs faithfully.
I don't quilt.
But the beautiful works of fabric art inspire me with their colors, their design, their message.

I read blogs about courageous people overcoming challenges with faith and hope. I add these bloggers into my prayers.

Some blogs are maintained to market the blogger's business interests, and some blogs have become so popular that the blogger makes a significant amount of money through advertising banners placed on their blog. Jen Lancaster, who wrote the book "Bitter is the New Black", (a funny book if you can handle her expletive language) started her literary career with a blog detailing her experiences after being laid off and unemployed from a high-paying, important job.

I started off blogging thinking that at the end of the year I'd send the blog archives off to wherever it is they go to be made into a book. A type of journal safe for public consumption that we could look back at years from now and say-- my, wasn't 2009 a great year? However as I've reviewed my recent posts- cheating on online Jane Austen quizzes and the such, I'm doubting the wisdom of turning my blog into a family book. How can I teach my grandchildren and great-grandchildren the virtue of honesty when I so dismiss it in my quest for Elizabeth Bennet-hood?

I also started off blogging hoping to entice the rest of my extended family into starting their own blogs where we could show off our good-looking children to one another, praise our clever actions in difficult situations, and connect a bit better than the annual christmas card and birthday phone calls. They didn't bite.

Here's what I didn't expect when I started a blog.
That I would like reading my older posts over again
That I would laugh sometimes at my wit (or lack thereof)
That I would be the biggest fan of my blog.

And that's the answer to what I want to accomplish with my blog.
I want to enjoy fun, silly, touching, tender, nonsensical moments again.
And again.

And for those of you that read (and hooray to those that comment!), I hope that you sometimes laugh, sometimes feel tender, and that sometimes this blog uplifts your life as other blogs uplift mine.

3 comments:

Hokie said...

I think that I, like Julina, first read this when you must have accidentally published before finishing. Your entry a few minutes ago read "Blogging" and that was it.

I think that this goes to prove that some of your fans sit at their computers in wait for what you have to say. Your blog is one of my favorites to read!

As for this post, the things that you "didn't expect" are about the same as mine. I loved that you said 1) you like reading your older posts over again...2) you laugh sometimes at your wit (or lack thereof)...3)you would be the biggest fan of your own blog.

For you the last can be disputed (see remarks from 2nd paragraph) but for me and my blog I can agree with all those points.

dontnoy said...

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I am so glad to know that I am not the only when that publishes before I have even written anything.

This was so great to read and like your post I laughed and even got that almost cry thing going. ( I am turning into a crier) I will have to blog about that later.

I think I too enjoy reading my past blogs more than I ever thought I would and I have become an addict to see who has posted recently. You are no longer a secret blog stalker, you admitted to it on your blog.

Keep the wit, charm, mishaps, etc it certainly entertains me.

Oma said...

I LOVE reading your blog. I laugh and smile and totally relate. Keep it up. Send your family our love. Treena B